Broken Batavia...

Started by Isaac1998, Aug 29, 2018, 18:12:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac1998

Hi all.

About a week ago I found this fantastic batavia wine cup with a faint blue underglaze depicting (goldfish?).

I snapped it up immediately, but the day after while I was cleaning, my new puppy jumped up and knocked it out of my hand, breaking it into six pieces...

I'm hoping to get it repaired when I head back to Beijing in November. I've read a little about Japanese Kintsugi repairs done with rice glue and gold dust, has anyone tried this before? Or know of any workshops that practice it?

Also, if anyone could help with dating what remains of this lovely little cup, I'd appreciate it. I thought perhaps it was Kangxi on account of the shape and paleness of the blue underglaze.

Thanks!

More pics at google link below:
drive.google.com/open?id=1yAmhNWny5hBL8FJC_LdlsROEncgRlw0L

Pictures in google link below.

peterp

Hi, rice glue? I do some kintsugi repairs on my own items, but I know nothing of such glue. Such glue repairs would break as soon as soon as some humidity or fluid was present. This would be about equal to wallpaper glue.
The main gluing factor is lacquer (natural tree lacquer) mixed with a bulking agent, which may be rice flour. It seems that nowadays often talc is used instead, but some repairs may also simply be glued with modern epoxy glue, because these are longer lasting and more reliable, and they have a shorter curing time. Tree lacquer is then used on top of it to bind the metal or mica powder. Sometimes no powder is used, in which case the repairs are the pitch black color of tree lacquer. Kintsugi repairs are also made using silver, bronze, and I believe copper.
You can find more information on this on the site of Lakeside Pottery.

I would not recommend the repair, it is not worthwhile in my view. It may be much more expensive than buying another cup like this. This is about Qianlong or Jiaqing reign and, excuse me, in my opinion the painting is fairly crude. It is of a style that was commonly used on porcelain made for use in China itself. If you want something similar, you will no doubt find some on *bay at a cost that is lower than a professional repair. Batavia cups were made in large quantities for export to Europe, in the 18th century. Export Batavia decorations were  generally of better quality than this type.