Is This Large Vase Recent?

Started by kardinalisimo, Jun 02, 2014, 09:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

peterp

Basically, there exists such a type of vase that is antique. However, the black outlines used all over, and the mark, make this appear to be of a newer date. Vintage perhaps, but the mark could have been added later.
Those vases of this type I have seen have not been so densely populated with decoration,

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply. By vintage, you mean post Republic, right?
I saw the vase at local antique place. It is about 25" tall and priced dirty cheap.
I wonder if such newer pieces are sought among collectors or only Republic and earlier are the really valueble ones.
By the way, is there any term describing the decoration?

peterp

I don't know the name of the decoration.
The republic period is of various duration, depending on the position you have. Taiwan still is in the republic period. For the PRC it ended 1949. When saying early republic, personally I mean up to about 1930.
But the black outlines...if they were not there I would not doubt it was antique (late Qing). Unfortunately, such strong outlines were only used later in the 20th century.  The mark is not of the period either. I would not buy it.

kardinalisimo

I can try to scrape the black. I am kidding

peterp

That is what I meant. But quite apart from this, I know a dealer who can sell fakes or new items probably better than genuine antiques - just because many of his clients are just in need of the old look, for interior decoration.