Blue Jar With Foo Dogs

Started by kardinalisimo, May 31, 2014, 10:46:35

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any suggestions on the age? Is there a general rule how the lions were depicted during the different periods, like with the dragons?
Thanks

Anthony

I believe the jar was made during early years of the Republic (1920s & later); the jar's shape was a clear indication - a popular feature at that time. Every period copied works from their forefathers, particularly toward late 19th century to satisfy the general consumer demand. Many fine pieces that were once dated Kangxi realized it was made later 19th century during Guangxu period. 

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply Anthony. When you say that shape was popular during Republic period does it mean it did not exist prior to that?
Also, when were similar insert lids first introduced?

Anthony

The lid with a pointed knob was fashionable between 1920s to 1940s.

Stan

Hi Anthony, I have observed that the knobs were pointed in later porcelain, is that a fact, I mentioned it in one of my posts.

Anthony

I can't say it's a fact; all I can say it was fashionable at that time. Round shapes are more traditional Chinese, while pointed and odd shapes are catered more toward Western clienteles. China became more Westernized by the end of 19th century. To determine the age of any antique, it depends not only the ware's shape, the glaze. Anything can modified, can also be created.

peterp

It is just that melon shaped jars were more popular.
In this case I would like to point to two things, for consideration. One is the foot rim. While I agree that the jar could be republic, the foot rim itself points more to late Qing or "early" republic. The other is the lid; I could not tell if this is the original lid. But the bats on the lid also seem to be typical for the late Qing to early republic period. The bats of this period look like a "W" with two points for the eyes, a bit away from the W.

Stan

I agree with Peter, late Qing to early republic.

kardinalisimo

Thanks. It was good to learn about the bats depiction. Also, the lions look kind of too tame.I would think it is similar to the dragons, the more fierce ones are on the earlier pieces? Is there something about the claws and the tails too?
Peter, can you confirmed that the pointed knobs were not in use prior to late Qing?

peterp

No I cannot confirm that. Pointed knobs do appear on earlier jar lids too. Don't try to use this for age identification. It is just that there were many different shapes in use over time, sometimes many in the same period. In this respect I have only doubts about perfectly ball-shaped knobs. In my view they are "often" a sign of a later lid. But, never forget that many antiques lost their original lid and were fit with a replacement that was made later, or in an earlier era, or belonged to a different type of item. You cannot solely rely on lids for dating.