little cup

Started by giulio cesare, Apr 18, 2018, 20:53:55

Previous topic - Next topic

giulio cesare

Hello everybody

what impressions about this little cup? recent fake?

Stan

Hi Giulio, monochrome items are hard to tell because their is no decoration to pin point it to a certain time, to me the foot looks like it could be Ming or early Qing but then the bowl looks perfectly round, can you check for dead bubbles, I have a couple of white monochrome bowl as well one has nice dead bubbles and the other dose not, I know it is still a fairly new science but it is worth mentioning I think.

giulio cesare

Hi Stan, what do you mean by dead bubbles?

can you give me an example?

thanks

giulio

Stan

I started a blog under "dead bubbles" you can search, also Heavenguy has posted about the subject, it was his posting  that I learned and bought a digital microscope online that you can hook up to your computer and get microscopic images on your screen, the one that Heavenguy suggested is a Jiusion 40 to 1000x M.... Digital Microscope, it was under $20.00 a nice little tool it think.
I also bought a Carson Microbrite plus 60x120 for something that you can carry around, dead bubbles are thought to mean that if something has them it would be a minimum of 100 years old to hundreds of years old.

giulio cesare

Thanks Stan, I will try the blog

Hmm

@stan

Can you just post the website on here, or is it against the rules?  I'm having trouble finding the blog using google.  Thanks. 

giulio cesare

I found the discussion on dead bubbles here

http://discussion.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/index.php/topic,3395.msg15045.html#msg15045

so the ones I send you in pictures are dead bubbles?

peterp

This is either a glaze fault that developed during firing, or it is a spur from stilts being used for firing; depends on the location of it, which it could be. Spur traces are found on glazed bottoms and there are at least three, normally.

Stan

Thanks Giulio, for posting the blog, " dead bubbles "  in the photo's you see dark bubbles they are bubbles that have fractures or small openings that allows dirt into the bubble, what you are looking at on the blog is a 40 X 1000 magnification, over long periods of time these bubble darken.

giulio cesare

thanks Peter,

It is a spur from stilts used for firing; it's the bottom of a bowl and there are five. I was talking about the bubbles that are seen enlarging the photograph (unfortunately made with an iphone and not very clear)

giulio cesare

Thanks Stan,

I understand what you mean by dead bubbles, are those small black bubbles that are seen in the magnification

peterp

Now I saw them. This are not dead bubbles. Just normal ones. I would not give bubbles sole importance for dating. They are not a shortcut to identification or dating, not yet. And they will be used with other methods combined, in future.

Stan

I agree with Peter 100% but if the dead bubbles are their and everything else lines up, it is a plus, as far as I know the fakers have not been able to duplicate dead bubbles yet.