18 Demigods black vase

Started by T. Chan, May 14, 2014, 03:10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Is this a worm back? This one looks 180 degrees to me. I really got confused. Its really difficult learning this field:-(

Stan

No this would not be a worm back, the porcelain unglazed foot is to fine to be antique and there is no age signs, even in Imperial porcelain, you would expect to find rust spots, a rust spot is iron in the porcelain that developes in 100 years and up, there are a lot of fakes out there with artificial rust spots, that is why you need to look at all the logistics of the whole, I think it would be better for Peter to explain the  worm back foot, just so I do not misinterpret the facts, the reason I know this is because I had a vase I  thought was Imperial and through our experience with porcelain we learn, you have a good start, you get a chance to examine the pieces you have and learn, it can be disappointing when you find out that it is not as old as you thought but the knowledge you gain is tremendous and we will know the next time.

T. Chan

Hi Stan, this Qing period is indeed the most difficult. First, there are a lot of fake out there, even in the late Qing. And secondly the period is only between 100-400 years ago, so the age sign is not that obvious? And third, it imitates Ming and Song period too. I am not going to disappoint since i am buying Qings without knowledge but with 99% intuition:-) and well, I only have about 10 pcs for Qing anyway. But in gaining knowledge definitely is much much better for future references. Now is the time to examine the pcs, and I believe, hopefully, at least 1-2 are right.

T. Chan

Stan, could you give me the page number for the worm back discussion? Your discussion? Or a link maybe? Thanks.

T. Chan

Oh yes I forgot to say, the celadon vase is not right, right? I am thinking to change it with a pair of Kangxi vase. The one that have the Kangxi pair, ok, as far as he got enough money for the exchange. I already sent him pics.

Stan

Hi T Chan, it was under guangxu vase, and the pictures were at another web site and are no longer there, but the conversation is still under guangxu vase, for worm back foot.