Export Commisioned Bowl 1834

Started by kardinalisimo, May 23, 2014, 11:34:06

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Saw this at antique shop. The dealer wants crazy money but I wonder if such export bowls are of importance. I wish all the gilt writings were there. Almost everything is washed out beside what I believe to be the year 1834. No idea what was the occasion, where (Asia,US or Europe) and who commissioned the piece.  I guess only rich people would do that.  How did the whole ordering process work?

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, this is a nice piece of Chinese export, a bowl of this size would be desired by a lot of collectors, it is this kind of Chinese export that the Chinese are buying back at auction it could fetch a pretty good price.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply stan. It is a large size but I don't know if I should invest 5-6 hundred in it.

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, on thin potted porcelain it is not a good idea to do a TL test because you take the chance on putting a hole in your bowl so it is better to do a hands on inspection on items like yours, but there is something that is bothering me about the date on your bowl, it is partially rubbed off, had this been fired into the bowl it could not be easily rubbed off, it would be like the rest of the glaze and decoration, not easily removed, it looks like the date is all that is rubbed off, if that is true, then it was applied on top of the glaze and was applied at a later time.

Stan

Looking at it more closely, the Yellow in the 18th and most of the 19th centuries would have been restricted for imperial ware also the faces, I can not see the faces that clearly, when I click on it to see the larger size it is blurry, a clear photo of the faces, I think is necessary for further valuation,

kardinalisimo

Stan, is not that an export punch bowl? If so, how can be Imperial? The western numbers in the year would mean it was made for the West, right? Or is it possible the gilt was added later? Now, when I think again, I don't know if the piece was individually ordered. I am guessing is someone from US or Europe comissioned it, they would ask for a different design, like city view, family crest, Canton warehouse or something closely related to the person/institution who commisioned it. Could it be that the bowl was a present from a Chinese persona to a Western one?
I will upload another pic of a face later. What exactly do you look in the faces? They are not very detailed.

kardinalisimo

Not the best photo but hope it helps

T. Chan

Just curious, when mentioning about 5-6 hundreds, is in what currency? Yes I heard that export products are being bought back by the Mainland Chinese. If yes, roughly, how many digits in USD this one priced by them? Thanks.

kardinalisimo

I am talking USD. As far as its real value we usually don't discuss that here. I guess there are many factors that determine price like age, condition, quality, rarity etc.
Some of these export bowls seems to be of importance for US/Europeans but don't know if the Chinese care if for example a piece was commisioned by a city, famous  person etc.

Stan

If this bowl was authentic it would be worth several thousands, but I have my doubts, the yellow and the date is suspicious, and some of the colors look like they are chemical colors.

Stan

A bowl this size from the Daoguang period, Chinese export would be a rare find and have high collectors value.

kardinalisimo

I hope you are right Stan. The dealer have this one, another export punch bowl with almost plain decoration and the fencai wash bowl from the other topic. I think I will be able to make a deal if I get all three.
By the why, he also have export Chinese teapots and cups. Very western decoration. Wonder if such are sought as well.

kardinalisimo

Have it in my possession. Here are some better pics.
Are the colors of the enamels consistent with the one from Daoguang period?
Not sure if the gilt writings were painted right after the bowl was manufactured or later.

Anthony

I have my doubt; yellow looks suspicious. Colors should be in the soft pastel palette.