Help With Age On Fencai Bowl

Started by kardinalisimo, May 23, 2014, 05:48:10

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Is that Republic, earlier, later?
Also, what kind of bowl is that? About 12" in diameter.
Thanks

peterp

This is a wah basin.
The interior decoration appears to be late Qing dynasty.
However, the red decoration on the underside is a bit odd. Normally that would be bamboo, but here it is unclear what it is.
Can you check if the exterior glaze looks a bit whiter and newer than the interior one? Could it be that the exterior was overglazed at a later time? That could explain the red underside decoration.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply Peter. I don't have it in possesion. Still debating to get it or not. The red decoration is like leaves. I don't know if you remember my topic about the fencai flower pot that had a drip bowl with  red leaves on the underside (Help With Age On Planter With Underplate from April 04, 2014)
They look like this ones but here they are smaller. The pot was Republic but never figured if the tray was originally made to go with the pot. Maybe such famille rose and red leaves was a common combination?

kardinalisimo

Found similar underside in the Bay.

peterp

Hehe... that is the problem with many. They don't see the obvious differences because they only look for similarities.
That one has a typical bottom, yours is a bit white, their bamboo decoration is properly painted, yours is either unfinished or sloppy. I opt for the former, in this case. Their base is typical, but yours is not. That means usually the bottom is glazed, but unglazed is possibly correct too. Just asking myself why there are dark spots around the dircumference. That type of support isn't needed normally when firing unglazed bottoms. Could be from a second, later firing. So, that is why I think yours might have a newer glaze/decoration on the outside... "might" that is. Would need a hands-on to decide by myself.
A later overglaze might be hiding an unappealing decoration or damaged underside. Just check closely and you will know.

kardinalisimo

" They don't see the obvious differences because they only look for similarities. "
By Peter
:) like that
Never paid attetion to the dark spots on the bottom. But let's assume they are from support, what kind of support would leave such marks? Also, why a support was not used the first time but just during the second firing?
If they tried to cover something I don't think it was sloppy decoration. The inside looks nicely done so i doubt whoever painted it did not know how to draw bamboos.
Anyway, I kind of like it.

kardinalisimo

Have better pics now. Honestly, I cannot tell if the exterior had been reglazed.
Peter, by late Qing dynasty, you mean Tongzhi / Guangxu?
Can anyone help me identify the name of the flowers depicted on the decoration?
Thanks

peterp

Looks much better, even the bamboo is now visible clearly. Late Qing is Daoguang~Guangxu. If the bamboo decoration on the back is original, it could be Daoguang, Otherwise, I would think it is perhaps a bit later (Xianfeng/Tongzhi, rather a bit earlier than Guangxu. There is an item in the image gallery that has a similar decoration.