Tang guardian

Started by ssbill, Mar 30, 2018, 08:31:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

This is another tang guardian I have been offered to purchase . I'm currently looking to authenticate the sancai guardian I've posted a few days ago . This one is from a different owner. I know thermoluminescence dating is needed for such item but I would like to know your opinion beforehand to see if this might be an obvious fake. Thanks. About 50cm in height

heavenguy

not an expert on this but, the dirt looks like it was applied to the piece. This type of items are hard to authenticate because is a really common faked item. This looks like one of those Tang Dynasty spirit guardian burial item but...  I think that the absorbency test is not a good idea on this since it was "buried" and can give you a negative positive result.

Also, the black color looks in better shape than the red color.  Usually they degrade together at the same rate. Of course, it all of this depends on the environment in which the piece was buried. a wet environment will also show water degradation spots. The dirt on the bottom it's like, uhhh. I will not collect this one in my humble opinion. then again, I'm a very amateur colector on tang pieces.

peterp

I would leave this alone. There is a big difference between this and the other one. Most importantly, there is no real glaze which could show some age signs.