A pair of square vase

Started by T. Chan, May 24, 2014, 04:24:20

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Hi everyone, I have a pair of square vase and height is 56cm. The color is Kangxi color, no mark, but I think it could be late Qing or maybe early 20th century? The faces of the eight demigods crossing the sea are quite unique. Very expressive. Can anyone help me dating it? Thanks.

peterp

These are more recent fakes, I'm afraid.
The faces try to imitate Tongzhi/Guangxu faces, but the colors are clearly chemical pigments from the 20th century. The indiscriminate application of colors to different items is also different from traditional designs.
The use of different types of clouds, some strange objects that could be meant to be bats, and distorted ruyi decorations all are a sign of fakes.

T. Chan

Hi Peter, these are the earliest pieces that I bought. It looks has age that is why, now, I thought could be early 20th c. Now, I can see that the foot rim is square. And after you point out, the bats look like moths:-)
Before this, I thought that these were made in Guangxu period since someone told me that Kangxi revival was done in that time.

kardinalisimo

Peter, can you explain,please, how the people faces are drawn during the different periods?
Thanks

peterp

Do you really think this can be explained in a few words? Check genuine items from the different periods, and remember their faces. Alternatively, I think there is a book for some USD100 available online, somewhere, that explains some of the details.
If learning these things were that easy, this site would not be necessary...  :-)

Stan

Peter is right as usual, I always say if you study the Chinese antique porcelain, the real article then when a fake comes by you will spot it immediately, don't get caught up in studying the fakes, study the real thing it takes years of handling and studying to have the same knowledge as Peter,  but be patient and you will eventually be able to know the real deal when it comes by.