vase

Started by giulio cesare, Mar 23, 2018, 03:09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

giulio cesare

hi everyone, what do you think of this? Chinese vase with nineteenth-century decoration?

giulio cesare

giulio cesare

Stan

Hi Giulio, could you take a picture of the top, the mouth area and one inside the vase if possible thanks.

giulio cesare

Tomorrow I try, it is on sale in a stop not closer. Inside are white and the mouth is round  round, like the bottom, you can see the white porcelain and  the color just outside

peterp

But the face, hair and clothing details, as well as the details of the terrain, and the colors, mean that this is probably late 20th century.
The vase body might have some age, but possibly is over-painted. The cragged edge of the black glaze along the foot rim is suspicious. Normally, the glaze does not look that way. When it becomes semi-liquid during the firing process it either runs down or it does not. It may form drops, but does not look that way.

giulio cesare

I have no idea what the vases are, but I do not think they are so recent. the seller does not usually deal with Chinese things, but buys the things he sells only in ancient families and collections in Italy. He sells vases as Chinese decorated in Japan.

peterp

Hi Giulio,
Chinese painting never had such details, no matter whether it is on porcelain or paintings - apart those made by western painters working for the palace. Only after the end or the Qing dynasty did such painting details appear, as western influences were entering China. Therefore we can usually tell for sure that such decorations are from much later. I doubt this is Japanese either, but Stan is better informed regarding that.

giulio cesare

Hi Petr,
I have no idea what they are, it is not my field of study, I guess we are not very old, but the painted surface has had a life longer than twenty to thirty years. I just wanted to say that the seller does not have a real shop and buys the things he sells only in families, usually ancient noble families. so the origin is not the ordinary market but houses usually where the objects have been there for a long time. I will try to take better pictures, just to learn
thank in any case for your time :-)

peterp

Just keep in mind that even the best collections sometimes contain non-period items. That is because those collecting themselves may not have had the knowledge to judge age and authenticity, etc., they only had the financial power to buy. This is still often the case today. :)

giulio cesare

but of course, it seemed to me only strange that, in that kind of houses, there were pieces bought so recently. I imagined they were at least early twentieth century.
I did not have time to go and take new pictures :-)

peterp

Relatives or friends, etc. knowing the collector may have gifted something they thought to be of value for the collection...

giulio cesare

yes this is possible