Kangxi bowl with chenghua mark

Started by ssbill, Mar 13, 2018, 05:18:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

Kangxi bowl with chenghua mark or just a modern fake? I've asked the owner to hold the bowl for me and the price is very good so I would be  a nice if the bowl  is from the kangxi reign.  I think these bowls were made for export to Europe in the early 18th C. It look credible to me.

peterp

The shape is not common. Does not look like Kangxi to me. The outer rim and interior bottom decoration are somewhat unusual. But the Ming mark and a foot rim with worm back only serve to increase doubts. If you want to obtain this as an investment, I would not buy. The above problems may lower its value, in my view.

ssbill

Hi Peter, the shape is common they call it a klapmuts bowl and they often have a chenghua mark. They were only exported to Europe so you'll rarely see them in asia. If you google it, you'll see many examples. I also have doubts about the color of the foot rim but the bowl itself looks old and I don't think they made copies of these in the late 19th C.

peterp

Klapmut or other bowls with this rim shape do not have such a deep bowl. At least the Ming and Qing ones I have seen did not.  I also do not remember seeing a Chenghua mark on any Qing bowls. The Chenghua mark does more often appear on Japanese than Chinese porcelain. And the rounded foot rim is mostly used for imperial ware. The foot rim is slanted outwards, which is odd too. You have to look at the minor details... Too many dubious features.

ssbill

Thank you Peter, after more carefully looking at the points you mentioned I think it's fake.