Mid Qing dish

Started by ssbill, Mar 07, 2018, 14:56:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

What are the correct terms to describe this type of dish? I've been told it could be from the qianlong or jiaqing reign.

peterp

Never seen this. Does not resemble Chinese styles.

Stan

I think this is Japanese, I have some similar items, Im not sure of the maker.

peterp

Stan, I have been thinking it might be Japanese, but the foot rim is not typical...

Stan

Right Peter, I see bottoms like this on older Japanese Edo period, that would explain the unmarked bottom.

Mat

I just have seen such pieces being discussed in another forum, everyone there thought they were Chinese, dating ranged from Kangxi to 2nd half of the 20th c, so nobody really knew...

Stan

That is probably true here to, but I think Peter would have a most reliable opinion, I was thinking Japanese because of the decoration on the inside of the plate looks like chrysanthemums which is the Japanese imperial flower and was not permitted to be used during the Meiji period except for the Emperor him self, that is why I was thinking Edo period.

peterp

To me the decoration itself looks more Japanese, but the base does not at all. No idea what it really is. In this case I can only guess. This is a bit confusing. Actually, I also considered the possibility that it could be European, but I believe the bottom would be a problem in this case.
There is another problem, that is the top rim. This is not something that should appear in traditional porcelain of the Qing dynasty, and the foot rim would mean it would have to be Qing or later. I'm now somewhat leaning to the view that it may be a later item.

Stan

Could it be a Qing dish that has been redecorated in Japan or elsewhere for that matter? also in these photo's we are not seeing the true shape of the bowl, it looks like the top could be flat or bell shaped.

peterp

That is right Stan, if it is flat, then this is not a traditional Chinese shape. Such rim shapes existed, but centuries earlier. If it is Chinese and not traditional in shape there remains only one conclusion. The foot rim anyway resembles a late Qing to republic rim. It might well be much later, which in turn means that the classic shapes and decorations were not observed anymore. I don't think it is worth guessing. This is not a high profile item.

Stan