B/W Gu Vase

Started by heavenguy, Mar 06, 2018, 05:32:36

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello, I got this blue and white Gu vase. I'm really clueless on this type of vases. It has a double circle mark but seems a little tight and strange.

My best guess is 19th century but... Yes, under the mic it has dead bubbles. Shape and size is okey. foot rim... uhhh I don't know. The color of the foot is really white. I know in kanji was white but not sure this white. Any help will be of much help.

heavenguy

heavenguy

and last one thank you for your time.

peterp

Late Qing dynasty, I would say...

heavenguy

?? Peterp.

The vase doesn't look new but it also doesn't;t look that old.

peterp

We separate Qing into three about equal parts of approximately eighty years.
Early Qing:  Shunzhi, Kangxi
Mid Qing: Qianlong, Jiaqing
Late Qing: the rest, including the larger part of the 19th century

Late Qing does not necessarily mean Guangxu or any specific reign.

peterp

The whiteness makes it look as if it was on the later side of Qing, but the blue pigment is a mineral pigment, so not specific to Guangxu or any reign, but probably not Kangxi either.

heavenguy

Thank you Peterp, I always have trouble with Qing items. I mean, I know I'm not an expert on any area but the amount of colors, shapes, foots, etc... is more complicated than other periods. Not saying that song or tang are easier, but surely they are more simple to identify the shapes, glazes and foots. The hard part is comparing it to actual real pieces. I only rely on books, online examples, and this Forum to kind of have an idea on what the item might be. And even if I know what the item may be and perform certain tests or color matching, or whatever, my expertise doesn't have any weight to say my collection is 100% original items. And I guess that is the hardest part of finding good items in garage sales and estate sales.

When you think you have a good item, someone else tells you is not. Then when you get an item, and think that the item is nothing you put it out for auction and it sells for a lot. Not talking about any particular item just my own experiences. When you live in a city where there is not much culture or any expert that can help you verify the items authenticity it gets really frustrating collecting pieces. Why? Because you are not 100% sure that your collection is free from fakes, or to have the correct dating on the pieces. So, there is always that little splinter that makes you doubt your personal collection. And no matter how much you ask online, experts need to see the piece in real life to be 100% sure. And even then... That is the ugly thing about been poor and having expensive tastes, hehe.

Anyways, thank you for always taking the time to answer. Kudos...

peterp

What you are describing here is what most or all of us have been or are going through. Having a knowledgeable mentor who can help you part of the way is nice, but at some point you may not be able to rely on that person any longer. And, it may be better that way. Those with lots of funds available for this often do not learn themselves, but just rely on others. They do not get necessarily the better things, however. This field of Chinese ceramics is so huge that there is always something new to learn, and if you like to push the envelope there are the always the items where the line between a top class item and a high quality fake is very thin. That is the challenge of this kind of antiques. :)