Big Bowl 'marked' Daoguang

Started by T. Chan, May 22, 2014, 00:16:33

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Hi Everyone,
I have a big bowl 'marked' Daoguang. I think this is a recent one since it has printed circles at the base of the bowl and the yelow color looks chemical yellow. But the strange thing is that the outlines are not dark black. It has several colors for outlines. Can anyone help me dating this bowl? Thanks.

Stan

Hi T Chan, Im sorry to say that everything about this bowl says new the decoration on the bottom the bright gold color on the top and the women's faces, and no age signs, all point to modern bowl, my guess 30 years at the most.

T. Chan

Thanks Stan. Yeah, I feel this bowl a recent one and the glaze looks new too. When I look at it somehow feel very very plain.

T. Chan

So this means that most of the time, in the 50s, the outline is usually black and 80s up to now, the outline varied. Is that right Stan?

Stan

Hi T Chan, I try to concentrate on the antiques and not on the new, once you learn how to judge the antiques then you can easily tell the difference, however, there are fakes out there that can fool even the best, this is why you need to study the old antiques, their clothing, hair style, decoration the colors, the porcelain itself, all these factors will eventually give you a good idea what is new and what is not.

T. Chan

Yes Stan, now I, little by little gradually can differentiate. But still very difficult. I have just bought a book about faces and hair styles but have not read thoroughly. I think its too much to learn in a very short time.