large millefleurs jar, Guangxu mark

Started by Oliver, May 18, 2014, 20:36:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

Hallo Peter, hallo all,

I'm quite new to chinese ceramics and to this forum. I got a very large jar, a vase maybe, in millefleurs style (32 cm high, ca. 40 diameter). I did some research in this forum and on google image search and I have found out that it has probably a Guangxu mark and that the painting quality is not very good. I would be glad, if you could help with this, if it is really Guangxu or more recent stuff. And if someone knows about the shape, I would be very interessed to hear even if it is late 20th century. I hardly found any similar jars, only a handful of very small ones.

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany
Oliver

peterp

This is a more recent product with a fake Guangxu mark. Basically, if a red  mark is on an unglazed bottom this alone already means it is newer.

Stan

Hi Oiver and Peter, I have been seeing these unglazed bottoms with marks at antique stores lately, I asked the dealer about the large planter that she had and she said that she thought it was from the 50s and it did look like it had some age to it but the age was from use stains inside from being used as a planter, I think a more recent creation.

Oliver

Hallo Peter, hallo Stan,
thanks a lot for your answers and information!
Best
Oliver