White glaze dragon vase

Started by ssbill, Mar 10, 2018, 22:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

This piece may be hard to evaluate because its a monochrome and the bottom is fixed . I've uploaded a close up of the glaze so you may have an opinion based on the wear on the glaze. Thank you for your help

Stan

I can see crackle in the glaze, if it was old the crackle would darken from dirt over the years, not seeing that leads me to believe modern.

peterp

No guessing here. Just analyze what you see.
When I see something like this the reasoning goes like this: all outlines and other features would be clearly visible with something carved by hand. Either the surrounding area would be shaved off flat, or the decoration would be incised/carved into the material. Either way there would be traces from sharp tools. Here the outlines are rounded and the lines themselves are deeper than the supposed background and the decoration. All features except the outlines are not sharp. No hand-manufacturing produces this, in my view.
Rounded lines/edges in carved decorations usually mean that a mould and possibly machine injection was used. The latter because the clay must be soft like slip, to be injected by the machine, resulting in rounded edges. This is most likely from mass production by machine.