set of 4 scales, famille verte, Jiajing Mark

Started by rvwaard, Sep 19, 2015, 21:30:34

Previous topic - Next topic

rvwaard

Hello Peter,

I would like to learn your opinion regarding the above object. Especially i would like to know from which period it may be originating.
The set is in my opinion certainly hand painted and really old. But how old could it be?
Thanks for expressing your opinion.

peterp

I'm afraid what you have is relatively recent. First, the colors used seem to be chemical pigments used mainly in the 20th century; but indicative of this is really the bottom or foot rim shape (slanted inner rim), which points to possible use of injection or molding techniques. Hand-thrown items do not have this rim-shape. While the motif is traditional, the Ming Jiajing mark is apocryphal. A piece of porcelain could never be of that period without age signs.

rvwaard

Due to the limitation of 5 fotos i could not point out that there are many age signs, like contraction points in the outside bottoms of the scales and an iron spot in one of the scales. I cleaned the scales in the dishwasher and stll the wear and tear is clearly visible especially where one scale rests in the other. A lot of dirt of use is present which could not be cleaned.
The design was clearly handpainted with many nuances in colour and unique for each scale. The rim shape was clearly made to fit each scale into the others. There are contraction points within the the Jiajing mark, even right on the blue circular line. Do you happen to know any smilar items for a comparison?

peterp

You should not mix up usage signs with age signs. With these colors it is 20th century at the best. For example the yellowish discoloration shown in the second picture from the bottom is frequently found on fake items too. That and many other unconditional age signs can and are often imitated.  Even newer items do have usage signs, but this does not make them antiques.

The mark on yours is unfortunate, because such marks usually point to later made items. But the most important point is always the base and foot rim. Believe it or not, but this sort of slanted rim is never found on antiques.

Hand painting is not a factor that speaks for age either, because even today some porcelain is still painted by hand in China.
Look at these: http://tinyurl.com/pym7jn8 .  Some of them are antique, some vintage, while others are newer (or fakes). I do not know why you call them scales, but these are stacked porcelain boxes. Most often there are four of them with a lid.

rvwaard

Thank you Peter for your valuable comments.