A pair of red color gilded vase with pond scenery

Started by T. Chan, May 14, 2014, 03:57:44

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Dear Peter and All,
I have a pair of red color gilded vase with pond scenery. And it has a  Qianlong year stamp mark on the base. Is it the same period or more recent? The base rim has been clean well with lemon. Thank you.
Regards,
Taufan

Stan

These pictures are pretty small, I think it is an apocryphal Qianlong mark, the unglazed foot shows that it is very dense porcelain, meaning a later made vase Guangxu period.

peterp

The bottom looks recent. The red color of antiques is based on either iron or copper, but these never produced such a hue of red. This is most likely chemical colors, in other words made in the 20th century.

Stan

Chemical colors that would put it mid to late 20th century, is that right Peter?

peterp

Chemical pigments were used since the early 20th century, possibly mixed with others, for I don't remember ever seeing such a bright red on an early 20th century item. Probable more recent.

T. Chan

OMG! So now I know, that for Qing, color is very important aspect too! I thought design is the main point! So sorry. The red is definitely different! Far different! After reading your comment, I took another pics for this vase under shade. The red is 100% the same now. It takes a while to adjust the camera. Please comment on my new pics. Thank you.

Oh yes, forgot to say, the bottom has been clean with lemon.

Stan

These photos look a 100% better, I will leave the comments on this vase to Peter, it looks like a nice vase to me but the bottom looks strange.

T. Chan

Do you what Stan, Begining today, I will re take pictures of all my ceramics again. All the colors are wrong. Hehehe. Maybe need 3-4 days to do it.

T. Chan

Dear Peter, sorry, but could you please review on this? Because I am very curious does it have age? I mean Republic or vintage at least? Because I acquired 5 pcs from a collector that has passed away on 04 years ago and this pair is one of them. If this have age, I will post the others too:-) because even until now I still don't know of their age. Thank you.