pair of unusual shaped vases

Started by Stan, Oct 27, 2017, 00:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is one of a pair that I recently required, I would like to know what this is used for and the name of the shape, it almost looks like a spit platoon but I was told by someone else that he thought it was used to hold scrolls, I think that is a stretch of the imagination, I believe that it is Chinese export, I am not sure of the age but I do know another friend of mine that has a whole set of late 18th century rose medallion pattern and in his set is a vase with the same shape, could this be 18th century, thanks for your help.

Stan

Here are the last photo's, thanks again.

peterp

The base indeed looks old, but the blue color is a bit bright. Is the white color painted or piled up, protruding from the glaze? If the latter, I believe the decoration might not be that old. I have a brush washer here that has such a decoration, and I think it might be only republic period. I do not know of any antiques having that. It is a different matter if it is painted. You will have to look at the bubbles to check the age of this.

peterp

The glaze peeling off along the base is odd. Looks more like lack of adherence than firing faults. I think there is a good chance that this piece was modified/over-painted, resulting in this. How do the bubbles look?

Stan

The white is heavily painted over the blue giving it a 3 dimensional look and the bubbles in the glaze are large to small especially on the top rim where the blue meets the white, these were given as a wedding gift in 1976 and were considered antique back then, it dose not appear to be overpainted but I suppose it could be a latter period copying an older shape but all the signs of Qing period are present, was this type of blue used during the Jiaqing period and what would this have been used for, just simply a vase?

calder

Hi Stan,
Stumbled across this, same as yours I believe.

www.bonhams.com/auctions/21008/lot/3253/

Stan

Thanks calder, they are calling this a Beaker vase, the one they have has a firing crack, The ones I have are in excellent shape with no cracks or repairs, thanks again.

Stan

Hi Peter, I was talking to a collector that collects this type of ware and he said it is late Qing and there is a name for it it is the color blue has a specific name, if I see him again I will get the name, he wanted to buy these but I did not want to sell them, he said he has the smaller ones, same shape but much smaller, so the one you have is more than likely from the late Qing period.

peterp

This type of workmanship does exist in traditional Chinese porcelain, but there are not that many. I do not see this color, but cannot deny the possibility that it exists. Did you note the shape? That is not a standard shape that is for sure. Resembles somewhat a Gu vase, but is proportionally wider than usual.

Stan

Hi Peter, the shape is normal for Chinese export porcelain, I have seen the same shape in the famille rose pattern and on other designs, Im not sure if it was used for a Spittoon, but it might have been, which would explain the shape.

peterp

I have thought of that, Stan. I do not know of spittoons made in the Qing dynasty, though. Those of earlier times Song or Yuan are usually proportionally shorter.

Stan

Hi Peter, had a tenant awhile back that had a complete set of the Famille Rose pattern, it was in my opinion 19th century, it was made for America, The Chinese may not have known what certain things were being used for but spittoons were being used at that time, I was told by a collector that that was the use, I do not know that to be absolutely true but it sure looks the part, what else would it have been used for? I have seen the garniture sets and none of them were like these is shape.