Light blue monochrome

Started by T. Chan, May 13, 2014, 02:11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Dear Peter and All,
Here I post a light blue monochrome vase. Could anyone help me identify the period because I have no idea at all.
Thank you.

Regards,
T. Chan

peterp

20th century. The foot rim has been subjected to age faking.

T. Chan

Dear Peter,
Thank you for your help. I know it doesn't feel ok to me It supposed to copy Ming period right? About the age faking of the foot rim, could you recommend a book or a link so that I can learn a little on base and foot rim? This definitely help a lot since I don't even have a book about these.
The brown foot rim I have used lemon and scotch bright to clean it but the color still there, so I think it is not a brown wash. All ceramics that I have acquired since 7 yrs ago until last year, I have cleaned with these. My friend said, don't use lemon cause it will wash the patina away(is this true?, but all the dirt go off easily. Cause before, I always thought that expert like to see the real paste rather than the dirt) so starting this year, I did not clean with lemon anymore. Thank you.
T. Chan

peterp

That is the problem...people think a brown foot rim means it is antique. In fact, under normal usage or storage, porcelain does not get this sort of brown foot rim. This is artificially made that way. I do not care of a patina on the foot rim. The consistency and density of the fired clay is more important than its color. Again, this sort of brown color is invariably a sign of age faking. Often it cannot be removed, quite unlike dirt.

T. Chan

Dear Peter,
Your comment is crystal clear! So in this case, the celadon "bronze" vase definitely a crossed finger too (Please have a look). About the density and consistency of the clay are new to me. Could you recommend a book regarding this? From Ming onwards, if any.
Thank you.
Regards,
T. Chan