Black "oil spot" bowl...

Started by cimage, Sep 26, 2017, 12:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

cimage

Greetings everyone,

Got this black "oil spot" bowl... It isn't marked, like most of the items from the song or earlier period.
I wonder if it is from that period and/or what the foot rim, and the overall shape says...
Any opinion would be greatly appreciated. There's a small restoration to the foot rim.

Regards,

peterp

Judging by the foot rim shape alone this could be Qing dynasty at the best. The light spots on the foot rim seem to indicate that the clay body is of a light color and was dyed, a practice not common in China.
Further, I would like to point out that the shape is closer to Japanese cups/bowls than Chinese ones. The oil drop glaze you seem to have in mind would be the Jian (or Jianyang) bowls, aka Tenmoku tea bowls, but that glaze and especially the shape of those bowls is a bit different.

This page gives more details on the subject, including the shapes: tinyurl.com/y9hg8yj9

cimage

Thank you very much Peter, as always very prompt to answer.

Me too thought it Japanese more than Chinese... Very difficult to say.

One question more out of curiosity : in what I've seen from Song period for example there's always on the mouth a small I-don't-know-how-to-call-it, like a sign, maybe the place where the bowl was held to immersion somewhere ; and this bowl too has the same sign on the mouth rim. Would anybody know something about it?

PS. Qing dynasty isn't that bad, if it were... ;)