Is this a so called shop mark?

Started by arnebraat, Aug 26, 2017, 22:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

arnebraat

I have got four of these small plates, bought at different times in Chinatown in Singapore instead of modern souvenirs. Three of them with the diameter of 9 cm and one of 11 cm. Three of them have pretty much the same pattern, but different marks. These are marks I'm not familiar with. Is this so called shop marks? As advised I post one at the time.
Best regards
Arne

Stan

If it was a shop mark they would all be the same, I have a problem with items that have such a shinny glaze and the foot rim has a dense look, I think these are fairly modern, sorry I can't help with the mark or if it is even a mark, it could be decoration, lets see what Peter says.

arnebraat

Thank you for your comment. From this I think I learn that I have to take much better pictures. Broad daylight without sun and a proper camera will show the real condition of the plates. I'll do that tomorrow. These pics are of the one that appears to be the newer one. But I bought this in 2005 in a "combo" store in Chinatown in Singapore where they sell tourist items from open shelfs and keep antiques and vintage items in glassdoor cabinets. When I spotted this in the untidy store, it had a homemade pricetag from the 1960's that said "5" (SGD), and the old shopowner said the price should be 25 SGD. And he said it is "old".
Best regards
Arne

arnebraat

These are the three other marks, if Peter has a comment on this.
Arne

Stan

The last 3 bowl look like early 19th century, but the first one looks newer, it could be an old bowl that has a new glaze.

peterp

These were made throughout the Qing dynasty. The ones below are probably about mid to late Qing dynasty. I think the one at the bottom is Qing too, Stan. Sometimes they have quite some gloss, and the bottom one is very small, smaller than the usual dish I assume? I'm familiar with none of the marks. But some could be from Dehual kiln instead from Jingdezhen.

Stan

Thank Peter for correcting me, it is easy to get confused sometimes with such a high gloss finish.

peterp

"Shop" marks or "workshop" marks were used mostly on 20th century porcelain. The top three were character marks, but they are highly stylized, so unless you find them in a mark book, even a Chinese native speaker will not be able to read them. The bottom one could be a pictorial mark, but not sure.

arnebraat

Thank you so much for your reviews. From this I learn something new every time I ask for help. All three smaller dishes are 9 cm in diameter, and the larger one is 11 cm.
Best regards
Arne