Yuan red blue octagonal mei ping?

Started by T. Chan, May 12, 2014, 02:41:59

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Dear Peter and all,
Need help.
Is this a Yuan red blue octagonal mei ping? Until now I still don't know whats wrong with it though my friends say wrong. If anyone need a larger pic, I will post a larger one.
Any help greatly appreciated... Thank you.

Regards,
T. Chan

peterp

Basically, underglaze red was a difficult to fire color in the Yuan dynasty. The problems the firing caused were only resolved in the Ming dynasty. The color is too bright and beautiful, in my view.
But the real problem is the bottom, this is not a Yuan bottom. To me it looks like a fake. In addition to this, the shape of the fish does not appear to be right. The decoration along the bottom has sharp corners. The corners are too sharp, they should be slightly rounded.
The pictures are not close enough, but it also appears that the blue pigment color is not quite right for Yuan.
For Yuan items of this size it might be of advantage to check out the items in Istanbul. China may no have sufficient items remaining to for a representative overview over  Yuan blue and white porcelain. Serious studies all need to cover those in the Istanbul museum.

T. Chan

Thanks Peter,
Well, Me too not sure about this. But I think, Yuan is better in handling copper oxide than Hongwu period. Since only 1/6 of last Yuan dynasty life, for blue, while 5/6 earlier, for copper red(I know this from internet too:-) )
I know the real problem is the base since I can say I have little, or no knowledge at all regarding base. So Its ok if this is a fake since somehow I can learn from it.
Yes I have been to Topkapi museum last year(for holiday and not for ceramic!) and have seen several Yuan, but I think the designs are different. The design is too crowded, taste is different between here and there.
Here I post a cropped pic regarding the colors and the colors diffusion with glaze. Thank you.
Regards,
T. Chan