Chinese plate in poor condition

Started by arnebraat, Aug 22, 2017, 19:00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

arnebraat

This plate is a gift from Norwegians who lived in Singapore for several years. I think it was bought in an antique shop/ second hand shop in Chinatown in Singapore around year 2000. The diameter is 17 cm. To me it seems to be a little old and in rather poor condition, but I don't know much about chinese porcelain. We have some more items that I would like to ask for help for identification, but first this one.
With regards
Arne Braaten

peterp

This is Qing dynasty, Jiaqing reign, that is early 19th century.

arnebraat

Thank you very much! I am so plesed to have found this site. To me it is important to get help with identification and not so much the value.

arnebraat

I do have one more question about this plate. My english is not that good, hence I sometimes have difficulties to find the right expression. When I said this plate is in poor condition, I don't mean it has got any damagees except from one hairline at the back. The rest seems to be rust spots, faults in the the glaze from the production and age marks. That is why I wonder if it could be older. When I looked more carefully, I found what seems to be an etched mark in the glaze beside the painted mark which is very blur. But the right hand side of that painted mark resembles the etched one. And this etched mark I think could be Kangxi mark. That I found on this site: antique-marks.com/kangxi-chinese-porclain.html
What do you think about the mark?
Now adays I've got time to try to learn about the chinese items I have, and sites on the internet are a rich source. Yours is priceless.

arnebraat

Hi Peter,
Now I have used a filter from the Windows photo editor to enhance the details in the painted mark. The glaze covering the mark is without any cracks. Could it have been a firing fault, and then someone wanted to clarify the blurry mark?
Best regards
Arne

Stan

The etched mark was a added by someone that owned the bowl at one time and etched his name on the bowl so no one would take it, this was a common practice, I have several items with similar marks.

arnebraat

Yes, I have read about this in the "Marks" section and one earlier post in the "Blog" that Peter answered. I also have another post in this forum today which probably show a owner mark on a bowl. But as I tried to find out more on the internet, I have learned that this sign is the Chinese character for "jade", used in many cobinations, and also popular to use in Chinese names. But in earlier days when you lived in communities in China with communal gathering where you used your own porcelain, would it be sufficient to mark your piece only with "yu"? I don't know.
Best regards
Arne

peterp

Regardless of the mark, this item cannot be Kangxi or earlier than Jiaqing, because that type of decoration started to be used only then.

arnebraat

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Best regards
Arne