Japanese Kraak Style Blue/White Plate

Started by bokaba, Jul 24, 2017, 15:20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Is this a Japanese export plate perhaps 18th/19th Century? I am not sure if it even is Japanese.

Thank you

Bokaba

Stan

HI Bokaba, the plate looks old but the design is something else, can you see rust spots or small blisters in the blue color under a loop, I have a couple Japanese blue and whites that appear to be old but the decoration seems to be lacking old tradition, the Japanese as you know did not have the stern tradition of design that the Chinese did and so possibilities of something like this that looks fairly modern is possible, a hands on is needed to check rust in the blue, bubbles in the white ground, also usage, this looks to pristine, but then again it could have set in a China cabinet for just on a stand and not handled much, my personal feeling is a high class fake, there seems to be a lot of blue and whites, hand pressed into a mold made to look like 17th and 18th century, I do not see any stilt marks either and the foot rim looks more like a 20th century foot.

bokaba

Thanks Stan. I think this could also be European, possibly Dutch or French. I've seen some 17/18th Century style Chinese/Japaneses plates (especially exports for the Dutch market like this one purports to be) that have gibberish Chinese marks.

Bokaba