18th Century Armorial Tea Caddy

Started by bokaba, Jul 25, 2017, 13:16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Is this an 18th Century armorial tea caddy? The foot looks a little rough compared to other 18th Century tea caddies of this form I have seen.

Thank you,

Bokaba

peterp

Overall it should be all right for Qianlong, but the decoration is a bit of concern. If this has no repainting at all, then it has the best condition of all such items I have seen. Usually one would expect at least some abrasion  of the gilt and black parts of the decoration. Such a pristine condition is possible only if it was standing in a cabinet or chest most of the time, without being used.

bokaba

Thanks Peter. What would I want to look for in a hands on inspection for evidence of re-painting?

Bokaba

Stan

This would have came in a set called a garniture set, they were usually set on a mantle of a fireplace and could have been there for most of its life or like peter said in a China cabinet, I know where there is a whole set but they want to much money for them, but sets are rare I think.

bokaba

Thanks Stan. I agree this is part of a garniture set. It was described as a tea caddy, but similarly shaped tea caddies from the 18th Century are much smaller (approx. 5 inches from what I have seen). This would be considered an lidded urn or vase from I understand.

Bokaba

peterp

As to your question regarding over-painting. The symptoms are different, depending on the type. I have seen some that had very thick enamel, presumably because they wanted to cover another decoration below the original. Others are obvious because of the colors used, etc. But with many you cannot tell without closeup inspection. It might be possible to find out whose insignia are represented on this, if it is that of a specific client. But with that style of painting I would think it might have gone to the US rather than Europe, and it is also possible that it is a general configuration rather than that of a specific house or family.
Not sure if this design really shows a coat of arms or not.