Identify mark

Started by Stan, Jul 10, 2017, 01:31:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I am thinking of purchasing a vase that has a mark, it is not in any of my books, I think the vase is fairly new, but the quality is exceptional, I think it might be a modern Chinese artist, could you please read the mark if possible, thanks.

Stan

Sorry, I just found it in my book, it is a tributary Yongle mark.

peterp

Yes, right. And this surely is modern. You will not find any genuine Yongle mark written like this one because there is less than a handful.

Stan

Thanks Peter, this is a very nice modern vase, I thought it could have been a makers mark or something, it almost dose not look Chinese but it is a new item that is really done with high skill, if I get it I will post photos.

peterp

Well, as to this specific mark, as far as I know there are only two and a half cups with this mark known. They are in a museum in Peking, if I remember right. The half cup is a broken, incomplete one. :-)
Correction: just read through my old notes and it seems to be four cups with this imperial mark.

Stan

I wish I had one of though's I could probably retire.

peterp

Hehe...there are lots of fakes out there with this mark, for sure. Even some antique items made later in the  Ming dynasty seem to have this mark.

Stan

This vase sold last night for $800.00 good price for something new, it was high quality though.

heavenguy

I have seen a lot of those on eBay this days, (I mean the type of raised decoration and colors underglaze). They usually come with a 4 character Qianglong mark.