porcelain bowl

Started by treasurehunter1, May 06, 2014, 12:13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

treasurehunter1

I recently purchased a porcelain bowl and I am trying to find some more information about it. It has what looks like Tung-Chih Tongzhi marks but I'm concerned that it might be fake or a reproduction, because it has English writing below the Tongzhi marks. I would appreciate any help I could in determining the value of the bowl and if is a reproduction.

Stan

I would say your bowl is from the 20th century 1970s, I believe that lead base paint was used during  this time and that is why the english words we're applied, not for food use.

shelley Kong

From what I have learned from this forum, the design seems to be painted because broken lines can be seen.

Stan

Hi Shelly, on printed porcelain that is one of the dead give aways is the broken lines, that means that that part of the transfer did not transfer completely and therefore you have the broken lines and the lines all have the same shade of black or whatever color was used, on painted porcelain you can see where that painter started and where it ends because the brush stroke is darker from the start and goes lighter to the end point, I also learned on this site that sharp sticks also was used to draw and they can have all one color, but with a loop you can see where the starting point was and where it ended, not so on printed items.

Stan

B.T.W. Shelly you are right it is printed.