Can someone take a look at this and let me know if it is modern or older?

Started by matttx, Apr 08, 2017, 03:55:25

Previous topic - Next topic

matttx

Have this little vase/ tea set?  Not sure, but wanted to check here and see if anyone can give me a guess on the age of the item?  Any help is appreciated!

heavenguy

No traditional shape or designs. Looks like transfer ware. It's a very recent ginger jar. probably even 21st century.

peterp

If this is genuine Zhonghua Taoci (????), then this would likely be made in Taiwan in about the sixties or seventies (company was established in 1958). That was a porcelain factory specialized in classic, hand-painted Chinese designs. I believe the English name was China Pottery Arts Co.. It was only operating for a decade or two. There seems to exist a book about them.
The link below shows image results of their products. Some may not be authentic, but it gives you an overview of what they did manufacture. It is also possible that there is a modern company in Taiwan operating now under the same Chinese name.
Although not that old, in Taiwan items of this manufacturer have collectibles value.

The top two rows in the search results below show mostly Zhonghua Taoci products. Those farther down are other Taiwanese pottery factories or non-Taiwanese manufacturers.

tinyurl.com/kgrhxjc