Kangxi or later?

Started by wk, Apr 01, 2017, 00:03:23

Previous topic - Next topic

wk

I recently bought this nice plate, am I correct it is Kangxi period or is it possibly later?
Thank you!

heavenguy

for what is worth, I think is from the period.

wk

It is, sometimes I seem to miss some obvious things. All the help is appreciated.
Thanks heavenguy!

Stan

If this is the true blue color, I would put it at a later time, the Kangxi blue was known for their 5 shades of blue and they were brighter in color, this looks more like the blue you see on late Qing also the Mandarin mark of Honour looks different from other marks I have seen, the shape is right and the tree with out leaves, but the structure in the background look strange in my opinion.

peterp

I am not so sure about this, Stan. You mentioned the leafless trees, but the thin parallel lines of the water are also typical Kangxi. I agree that the overall design of scenery is not of the quality other Kangxi wares have, but the same is the case with some Qianlong wares, where lake, buildings and mountains are painted in a similar offhand fashion, while others wares depicting the same are very neat. This could as well be the difference between cheaper mass production and better wares.

Yes, you are right regarding the mountains and the color depths, but there are exceptions. BTW, the first impression I got is that it might be from Dehua kiln not JDZ. That could account for the blue color and some differences. If the foot rim is rounded and/or lower than usual, and/or there is a radius where the rim meets the interior are of the base, then that is likely. Maybe we can get an additional picture showing the foot rim and base at an angle?

Stan

Thanks Peter, I am not that familiar with Dehua kilns.

peterp

I would like the opportunity to touch a on Kangxi wares. No matter if this plate is Kangxi or not, we should always keep in mind that the Kangxi reign was one of the longest, if not the longest, in Chinese history. That may show in the diversity of type and quality of wares produced.

More on the Kangxi period: http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/kangxi-porcelain.html

wk

I don't know exactly what you mean by if there is a radius where the rim meets the interior of the base Peter. But here is a picture of the foot at an angle. Hope this helps.

peterp

Thanks. No, this is not a Dehua rim.

wk