Jar with butterfly on lid

Started by Brattso, Mar 03, 2017, 13:04:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Brattso

Can anyone tell me anything about this jar? I seen a similar looking one in a post here I was hoping same kind of object. 
Thank you

Stan

Brattso

Stan

Hi Brattso, sorry I should have been more specific, a close up of the mark, I still can't read it and a close up of the decoration on the compote, these photos should be clear not blurry, The last photo you posted that is egg shaped the decoration looks completely different than the lidded compote, it looks like a later made piece,  thanks.

Brattso

Brattso

Hi Stan
  Sorry i disnt look rwally at the photo.  I appreciate your help.  I will take aome other photos outside. 
Thank you. 
I think the egg has satsuma on bottom of egg.  It is very pretty.  I have no idea how to price these things.  Any suggestions?
Thanks

Stan

This looks like late 19th century Kutani, the mark should verify this.

Brattso

Hi Stan
  Here is a picture of stamp and a close up of paint.  They might not be that good Im not very good at taking pictures
Thank you

Ps is Kutani good?

Brattso

Here is other i can only post 1 picture at a time for some reason.

Stan

This is Kaga Kuni, a Kutani mark, late Meiji, I am not sure if this is a potters name, or shop mark, maybe Peter can clarify. 

peterp

Kagakuni (or rather read Kaga no Kuni) was a fief in feudal Japan. It is situated in today's Ishikawa prefecture, in the north on the side of the Sea of Japan. See "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaga_Province" . Thus it is a place name, namely the location of Kutani kiln.
Here is another English link that might be of intereste: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutani_ware

Brattso

Thank you both.  Please have patience with me.  I am actually a very smart  woman.  However when it comes to Asian antiques I only know what appeals to me.  I have to learn about the items I'm selling somewhere.  Rather than ask a antique dealer where I live( In California) Id rather come here where I can get a honest answer.  The antique places here are shady at best.  Example I brought in some of the ivory and Jade pieces I had and they offered me 100 dollars and said they were being generous.  This was a collective so about 6 people were there.  I already knew about the pieces and nothing I brought in there was under $400.00  They wanted all 7 pieces for 100 bucks.  They are sharks and feed off unknowing people.
  My lack of knowledge can be good for here as well.  If I find I have a gem which I know I do and I sell Ito will make a donation to the forum for helping me.  Plus the more the better with posts right?  It might help others with their stuff ;)
I made a photobucket to show you some of the stuff if you would like to have a look. 

Last I do have my own kind of typing where I leave out words or make run on sentences its a bit like short hand.  I call it Typonese. 
Just thought Id give you heads up on my intentions here.  I hope its OK
Thanks

heavenguy

Just giving my two cents here...

If you want to start selling Oriental items you are in for a treat. First of all is because there are so many fakes out there that people simply don't believe you are selling the real deal, especially if you don't experience, a name or brand backing you up. a few years of experience gave me this: "The way you describe something says how much you know about an item's topic". Experience only comes with time, and been exposed to the real deal a numerous amounts of times. And like all antiques, Chinese and Japanese market changes every month or even days.

People that we often post in here learned to respect that they don't discuss values in here. We can say how much it costed or how much something is worth before buying, and we can give an opinion, but... People will give their opinions on what the item could be, but It's for the person to investigate a little more on the value of the item comparing to other similar items and current market trends. The hard part is to understand the word  "Opinion". Sometimes, someone can say something about the item and someone else can say another thing about the same item. Someone can tell you something is worth $50 dollars and you put it on eBay and it sells for over $1000. Was the person lying? I don't think so. It wasn't because the person had bad intentions on you or about the same item. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right seller at the right time. Sometimes, is about online auctions having at least 2 people interested in your item at the same time so you can get a better price. There are many outcomes for the same item. Sometimes the item was mistakenly identified or simply it wasn't described right. Or sometimes the person giving you the opinion wasn't exposed to a similar item as the one you are showing.

But coming back to the same topic, if you don't trust the person who you are selling the item too then stop going there. If the person you are selling the item seems suspicious then don't sell them stuff. A good reseller will give you a price were you also make some money, because he wants you to come back with more treasures were both makes some money. Keep in mind that there is tons of fake jade and ivory too. How you know??? because just like porcelain, jade and ivory, if the material, shape, art form and stuff like that don't match then its probably that you have a fake, and people will only pay for what they see.

I used to have a room full of mistakes, and I ended up donating the items instead of selling them online. I hope this helps understand this forum a little.

Good luck to you and sorry if I bore you... good day.