Brush pot or candel holder ?

Started by Ken, Feb 23, 2017, 11:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Any info and dateing would be much appreciated thanks

Ken

Photos are little blurry had to compress so I'm able to post

peterp

This seems to be a variation of the Gu vase. From what is visible in these pictures it seems to be export porcelain made during the Qing dynasty, Qianlong reign.

Ken

Thanks petter for your fast reply

Ken

The gu vase I did not know they made miniatures that size

I have also picked up this blue vase mabye 3 inches labeled as a toothpicked holder

heavenguy

I was wondering if that vase is cream in color??? If so, did they make cream color porcelain in the Qianlong reign???

peterp

If you are talking about the glaze, off white is the normal color in any period. There was no pure white but white with a yellowish, blueis, gray or other tint. Pure white is suspicious and it was only 'late in the late Qing dynasty' or early 20th century that some items were really white.

peterp

The tooth pick holder is Japanese and possibly printed.

Like many other porcelain shapes, Gu is just a shape taken from ancient bronze vessels, possibly ritual vessels, used over 2000 years ago.

heavenguy

Peterp,

Yes, I was asking about the glaze sorry. I had a hard time trying to find a vase similar to mine but Ken put one like mine so I started doubting my interpretation. Because all the similar ones I found online and in reference books had this kind of white but not bright color I made the assumption that the vase was 20th century. It almost reminded me of a more whitish color for Japanese Satsuma. I attached a couple of pics of my similar vase...

heavenguy

peterp

heavenguy, yes yours is typical Qianlong era export. This is what they call "mandarin" wares in the west, I think. You should be able to find similar items online.

heavenguy

Hi Peterp, Thank you very much. I was able to find similar items to mine with the information provided. As far as I can see this was part of a garniture of 5 items. Two vases and 3 ginger jar vases all about same size. Maybe this vase was part of the same set as Ken's item. Anyways, Thank you for the information provided.