Blue and white weeping Willow tree vase.

Started by calder, Mar 13, 2014, 03:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Feel like a real pest.

Again ..any info would be gratefully received.
Thank you Alan

Stan

Hi Calder, I have been collecting the old Chinese and Japanese porcelain for a long time and you have a very nice vase, but I can not tell if it is Chines or Japanese, I have never seen  the flowers decorated like the flowers on your vase on Chinese porcelain but I have several japanese arita plates from the Edo period that have the same decoration, but I have never seen a Japanese vase shaped in a hexagonal baluster shape like this one or a Ming bottom like yours, could this be possibly a Chinese Ming Vase made for export to Japan, Im not sure, lets see what Peter has to say. Your vase looks old to me but I do not think it is from the Ming dynasty but from the 19th century.

calder

Hi Stan thank you for your kind words.
I appreciate the information given.

peterp

Hi, there are some elements that look like Kangxi, but then, others point to 19th century decorations.
I do not think it is Kangxi, though. The many spots would hardly be possibly if it where from that period. Perhaps a late Qing dynasty item. The bottom also would look right for the Guangxu reign.

calder

Hi.
Brilliant-- thank you for your knowledge.
Many thanks

Stan

Hi Peter, I respect your opinion, but if it was from the Guangxu reign, wouldn't the porcelain it self have less imperfections? all the hexagonal baluster vases that I looked at from the 19 century had very little flaws, this vase has a lot of imperfections, even for late Qing, I have several late ching vases and most of the imperfections are on the bottom and not all over the vase, do you rule out a Japanese Vase made for export to China, the blues and some of the decoration and the imperfections would fit into the Edo period from the Arit Kilns.

peterp

Hi Stan,
I have noted the many dark spots. These can be ruled out only for the 18th century, as then production quality was at its peak. I have seen items with much more imperfections this, kiln ash, spots, etc.m from the late Qing dynasty. But I cannot rule out a Japanese vase completely. But, I have never seen this shape and such a bottom on Japanese wares. Anyway, even if it were Japanese, it would have to be late Edo or perhaps Meiji era, but the bottom...

The decoration element that makes me think it is more likely Chinese is the flowers along the shoulder and those beside the willow tree.  I spend a lot of time on the Japanese internet, but I don't remember ever having seen this painting style of the flowers on the Japanese wares. The garden-and-railing motif is a typical motif found on Chinese ceramics. I wonder if it exists on Japanese porcelain at all.

Stan

Your right Peter, after examining my plates a little closer they do not resemble the flowers on this vase, what dose match is the lines inside the flowers that is the same, and that through me off, I have 5 plates that are all decorated that way with the lines as the filler in side the flower, I had no idea the the Chinese did the same.

calder

Hello again the spots on the vase where dirt marks.
I Should of washed it before taking photo's
I Took it to the local auction house who said it was  a" Transitional Period Blue And White vase"
Thoughts?
Many thanks Alan