Colored chinese vase

Started by Mathieu2400, Nov 30, 2016, 01:46:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathieu2400

Hello all,

I would like to have more informations about this item, which belongs to my parents.
They sent me some pictures which are not very clear. But maybe you can already tell me more about it.

So it seems to be a chinese vase. There is no mark on the bottom. From what they told me, the mark is located on the side.
In my beginner opinion, the shape looks not very conventional, so it may not be old?

Actually, it's a pair of vases. But the other one is partially broken (it has some different drawings on it). For the moment, they just sent me pics of this one.

Thank you in advance as usual! :)

Mathieu2400

More pictures,

carlyoung

It looks to have those classic ''people republic enamels'' I am no expert by any means but my opinion would be somewhere between the 1950's and the 1980's.

You are right about the shape , this along with the enamels and the base would say mid to late 20th century for me.

Stan

The mark is a Fuku mark, meaning good fortune or happiness.

peterp

Hi carlyoung, I do not think so. These look to me like mineral pigments, at least in the pictures.
I would like to see more closeups, especially faces, hairdo and clothing. They can be partial. Also a close picture of a part of the foot rim. The inside of the vase may provide hints too. Any blemishes should be shown clearly, as they help with evaluation.
Where is the mark located? It is a bit unusual to have this type of mark somewhere on the body.

Mathieu2400

Thanks all for the first answers.

My parents finally sent me some better pictures of the vases. They are clearer and bigger. I think they will help you for a better evaluation. ;)

I begin by the location of the mark, a view inside the vase, a better picture of the foot rim and of the mark.

Mathieu2400

Then, i have some pictures of the second broken vase now.

Strangely, the mark is not the same on this one, although it's a pair of vases.

Mathieu2400

And to finish, i have a lot of closeups of the drawings on the 2 vases (8 pictures).

Mathieu2400

Ok i posted all. I'm looking forward to read you. ;)

Stan

In the new photo's, the vase that is broken at the top edge where you have the chips and missing glaze looks to me like it was added to make it look old, also the way the top was fitted onto the body looks modern and the colors are to bright to be Qing or early republic but possibly republic period 1912 - 1949 maybe a more accurate date can be realized by the mark, but the shape is a little unusual.

peterp

Thanks for the additional pictures. That makes evaluation easier. I agree with the approximate period Stan mentioned.
The top is wider than usual on this type of vase. Such variations are more frequent in the 20th century. The yellow color of the table, and the red robe, are more likely 20th century, the rest of the colors look the same as those of the late 19th century. Overall a nicely painted piece with fine details. Especially details as those of the red robe are seldom seen.

Mathieu2400

Thank you Stan and peterp for this expertise. It's interesting how you identify items.

I have a last question about the mark of the first vase.
Because Stan found that it was a fuku mark, meaning good fortune and hapiness.
So i looked for that mark on the net, and i found it on gotheborg and other websites.
But it's often associated with japanese items in the explanations.

So do i have to conclude that the vases could be japanese ?
Or maybe such mark was drawn on both japanese and chinese things ?

peterp

No, this mark was originally used in China in the Ming dynasty. However, later Japan used this too and it appears much more often than on Chinese porcelain. They still use it today.
Also, you cannot tell from an auspicious mark who or when something was made.

Mathieu2400