Questions about Tang Ying marks

Started by Tinman, Apr 25, 2014, 03:01:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinman

I have been studying pieces made by or personally connected to Tang Ying and have questions.

1. Tang Ying is known to have made porcelains that he gifted to various temples. Did he sign them or have a seal with reference to himself on the pieces?

2. Did Tang Ying porcelains have more than one seal? Example: Tang Ying seal, Qianlong period make seal, Qianlong Emperors treasure seal, etc...

3. Did Tang Ying ever put (or have placed) more than one seal on the bottom of his temple gifted porcelains?

4. Are porcelains with more than one seal assumed to be fake?

Stan

If you have been studying the real articles of Tang Ying, then you have a better working knowledge than most people, most people will never see the real works let alone something signed by him except in a museum or a high action house, I would imagine that he would have signed his works with an Imperial Jingdezhen mark, seeing he was made superintendent of the imperial porcelain works in Jingdezhen.
From what I have read he signed his works as Jungong Shi, Shuzi, Woji, the old man (laoren) Wosi, retired scholar taocheng, retired scholar Muzhai, potter, and porcelain making supervisor.

1 , I do not know if he gave gifts to various temples, but I can imagine if he did he would have signed the.

2. Tang Ying was also a seal carver, and would have made the Jingdezhen imperial seal, he worked as superintendent of the imperial porcelain works for 20 or more years and when you are superintendent everything you do is traditional, I do not think that there would have been  several ways he would have sighn his works other then the ones mentioned, after he retired in 1756 he could have signed different but I do not know, what ever you find out I hope you let me know.

3. I do not know if tang signed his works more that once, I would think not, the reign mark and his signature maybe, I am just quesing so please let me know if he did.

4. I have no  idea, please let me know again, what you find out I am always learning sorry I could not be of much help, I m sure Peter will be more forth coming.

peterp

Sorry Stan, but I cannot help. You may be more than me. There is too much other things to learn than to study him in detail. I only know that he was kiln overseer for the court from the late Kangxi to the Qianlong reign, and that he created a number of new porcelain shapes for the Qianlong emperor.