Is this jar Japanese or Chinese and what do the markings mean?

Started by rrbertscv, Nov 03, 2016, 21:23:47

Previous topic - Next topic

rrbertscv

Hi, I am a new member to this forum. I try to research things before I ask questions and over the last couple of days I have found lots of sights, but can't find a match for this. Can someone please tell me about this piece and what the markings mean? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

MythicalFoxes

i believe this to be chinese maybe japanese. not very old. i have come across these style of ginger jars/vases before. its more an souvenir in my opinion because it may very well be not antique. the mark is strange. you have it upside down in your picture. and it seems to be some kind of chinese seal mark. very poorly done, probably stamped on it. and i cant identify the two characters in the middle what supposed to be the name of the emperor. so it either is the name of an emperor but so poorly done that i cant figure out which one, or its the name of someone else. maybe someone else can figure it out, but this is what i think of it.

peterp

This appears to be more recent, Chinese, in my view. The mark is Chinese, shown upside down. These are not the normal seal characters used on traditional Chinese porcelain, rather a version that appears sometimes on 20th century item. While the motif may be traditional, the way people, headwear, etc. are painted is more recent. The color combination is also something that is not found in antique porcelain. The bottom would be essential to confirm this, but this is likely made in the last few decades of the 20th century at the most.