Newbie needing help with vase mark

Started by ystout11, Apr 04, 2016, 04:27:58

Previous topic - Next topic

ystout11

What a great resource and site this is! Kudos to the people who set it up and run it.

I've tried my best to identify this mark and maybe age of this vase?  I'm not even sure if it's Chinese or if the pic of the mark is oriented properly.  Can someone help? Thanks!!

peterp

Well, the mark is upside down. Not sure what it says as it is not in the normal seal character type used on ceramics. But, the decoration style looks distinctly Japanese. Not sure if it IS Japanese or just looks that way. Next time, please also upload a picture of the bottom, as it may give important hints as to where and when it could have been made. Not very old I think, late 20th century perhaps.

ystout11

Thank you, Peterp!  I've now attached 3 more photos of the rim and base and a re-oriented picture of the mark.  I agree it doesn't look very old.  Great to know it is more likely Japanese!  I hope someone can help with a Japanese mark.

Stan

I do not think it is Japanese, but forsure late 20th.

peterp

Could have been made anywhere and then the stamp affixed.

Stan

Agreed, but the shape and bottom look more like late 20th century Chinese than anything else, in my view.

ystout11

Thanks, Stan and Peterp.  I agree that it is not old.  But mystery mark!  I tried putting the characters in various online character recognition sites, but no recognizable figures came up.  Actually, some of the characters look like the initials GHR.  Perhaps a Western artist wanted to imitate an Asian mark?

peterp

Mark could read Jing Chang Neng zhi, but not sure what this is. Possibly a factory name?

ystout11

thank you Peterp!  I'll pursue that lead... my post got bumped to Japanese ceramics, but maybe it belongs under Chinese Ceramics after all?

marker

Oddly enough, I have answered this same question, in depth, regarding these exact same two characters for someone else with some brass pieces.

Read this:
viewtopic.php?t=155

Cheers,
-Gary.