Cheng Yiting Vase

Started by bokaba, Sep 03, 2016, 11:38:16

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Dear Members,

Do you have any information on this vase? It appears to be marked Cheng Yiting. From what I could find, Cheng Yiting was active from 1895-1948. From what I understand, the black lace design around the neck originated with Russian influence starting int he 1940s.

Thank you

peterp

The decoration below the rim? That existed in some form throughout the Qing dynasty, probably already in the Ming dynasty. You will sometimes see it as neck ornament on carved Guanying figures, but also on some Qianlong period decorations. But the black version got used only sometime in the republic period. Not sure when exactly.
The vase shape is 20th century.

The artist you mention is one of the Eight Friends of Zhushan. If the item was authentic, this would have a high value. There are scores of people who would like one of their items. Unfortunately, their works are widely copied by others.
You will have to check authentic works to compare. Check colors, but also the painting style and also the writing and seal. Do not have your expectations too high.

bokaba

Thank you Peter. I just don't see the quality decoration that other Yiting pieces have. It is probably a recently-made copy.