Jiaqing/Republic Vase

Started by bokaba, Jul 13, 2016, 09:55:25

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Here's a good one for you guys. This vase belonged to one of my friend's father in laws. I don't know where it is now, but it had been evaluated in person by auction houses and they disagreed over whether it was Republic or Jiaqing as marked. Any thoughts? Sorry for the poor quality pics, but there are old pictures.

Stan

I doubt that this is from the period 1912 to 1949, when you see a bottom foot that dirt has been applied to give the appearance of age that should raise a red flag also the bright gold on the top of the vase, I would say a few decades at the most.

peterp

As Stan mentioned, the brown color on foot rims is usually found on fakes and later items. The bluish base color would be of a lighter color if it was Jiaqing, but the decoration itself, the colors used and the way people's faces are painted, can only be 20th century. Second half of 20th century, in my view.
Faces, eyes, hair style, were all different periods in the Qing dynasty. Later copies can imitate earlier styles, though.

bokaba

Thanks Peter and Stan. I had always thought late Republic or early People's Republic. My friend's father in law lived in China in the 1930s-1940s, which was when he allegedly purchased it. I believe he sold it at some point for around $5,000.