Pinkish Crackle Glaze Vase

Started by kardinalisimo, Apr 06, 2014, 09:16:00

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I apologize if the vase(about 11" deep) is not Asian but I have nowhere to start from. Unfortunately, I cannot inspect the bottom as a ceramic stand was glued to it. It was obviously painted in black after it was mounted as there are paint marks on the bottom of the vase. The stand is marked "Italy" but it is quite possible that it did not come initially with the vase. The inside is glazed as well. There are two tiny blue underglaze dots on exterior but don't know how they got there as blue color was not used at all.
I don't know if I should try to separate the stand(no clue how to do it) so I can take a look at the bottom or it is not worth it?
Any suggestions will be welcomed!
Thanks in advance!

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, I would leave it on, you could damage it by taking it off, I have never seen a pink crackle glaze on Chinese or Japanese, I would think it is not traditional could be a newer item if Chinese or Japanese, I would lean towards Chinese if it is modern.

peterp

I second what Stan said.
If you want to try to separate the stand from the vase, do not apply any force. You need to establish what type of glue it is. If it is epoxy it can be impossible to separate it. You could apply some acetone to the glue, to test if it softens it, but it will probably also discolor the black paint.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the replies. So, if most likely recently made then I guess it has low decorative value. I am still curious about seeing the bottom so maybe I should try the use acetone. Hope in case of screwing up the stand at least not to damage the bottom of the vase.

peterp

Acetone doesn't damage porcelain. You might want to place cotton along the glue line, then soak it. If a light application does not soften the glue, you may have to use some wrapping foil from the kitchen to prevent the acetone from dissipating too fast, and leave it for some time.

Stan

when you do try to pull it off, use a twisting motion, do not pull straight off.

kardinalisimo

I was expecting to see at least some kind of regular bottom. Wonder if it was made specifically to fit that particular stand. I find it too complicated to craft the vase with that bottom and then use plaster or whatever it is to seal it to the base.
So, I guess a modern Italian piece as the stand is marked "Italy".

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, the bottom dose not look like a Chinese or Japanese bottom, Maybe it is Italian made.

peterp

Yes, looks as if stand and vase belong together.  Just a decorative vase, and not Chinese.

kardinalisimo

Peter, are there bottoms like that at all on Chinese pieces, old or newer?
I was looking something on Internet and accidently came upon this website http://www.chinapotteryonline.com/category/porcelain/monochrome-porcelain/page/2

where I saw a vase with a similar bottom but no closeups. Different shape and glaze. It is under "China Prunus vase in sky blue glaze Porcelain" at the bottom of the page. Not sure how reliable is the information on that page.

peterp

That is a different type of bottom, not as high as yours.
Usually, stands are adapted to the base shape, but your vase was obviously made for use with a specific base.

kardinalisimo

I wish I  could find better images of similar bottoms. Not sure if you can tell how high is mine and the other. To me from the pictures they look the same.
You are probably right that mine is not Chinese vase but I wonder if they modeled it after one.