black greenisch bowl

Started by Rec, Jun 17, 2016, 22:00:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Ming period?

Rec

peterp

This is in the style of late Ming Zhangzhou (=also erroneously called Swatow wares) porcelain. Careful, I have doubts about the bottom. Unglazed bottoms and adhering kiln grit were normal for items made in Zhangzhou during that period; they were also exported to Japan, but Japan made copies, probably both at about that time and also in more recent times. To be sure, even if it were Japanese, it would still be antique. Japan made also newer ones in later times, but they look different.

You should check if kiln grit looking that way was normal with wares made in Zhangzhou. It is just the
way the grit is placed along the rim and nowhere else, that makes me think of the possibility that it could be Japanese.

Stan

I was thinking Japanese myself, but I wanted to wait to see what you would say, if it is Japanese the foot rim would be 20th century.

Stan

I take that back, I was thinking it was a plate, on Japanese bowls they did have foot rims like this Edo period.

peterp

If it were made at Dehua kiln, you cannot entirely rely on the foot rim, because their foot rims had a similar shape as the Japanese ones. Low and rounded, mostly. In that case you have also to watch for the blue tone, worm traces and a rim lip.

Rec

Thank you guys.
what kind of blue shoud I look ? dou you have any pics ?