Beautiful Celadon "Fish" Charger - Marked

Started by Stillwaters, Mar 29, 2014, 07:06:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwaters

I love this piece... Especially the way the mark is done in a skip in the glaze. Its very beautiful in person. Its SOOO finely done, its just beautiful... It looks like a good piece to me. I just got home so I haven't had time to do research. Can anyone point me in a direction? Is it old?

Stillwaters

Stan

It is a very nicely done modern piece, maybe not fake it is to obvious to be a fake.

peterp

The fish decoration is made after a an ancient Chinese decoration, but the mark is typical Japanese. And, it looks very new.

Stillwaters

Yeah I was leaning towards newer. To see it in person though, its very finely done. Whether its old or not, its a high-quality studio piece. Never be able to find the studio though..

Stan

I would never have guessed that to be Japanese, but that would explain the bottom foot eye, I have never seen one like that or the jellow molded shape.

Stillwaters

I found out who it was while browsing through a Christie's catalog, its Tsukamoto Kaiji. Its a good piece, he was designated as a Living National Treasure of Japan for his work in ceramics. I found some chargers that are almost identical to this one. The catalog had estimates of pieces of this size at 5-$7000, but it was from 2002 so who knows what its worth. I'm keeping it anyway, I like it too much. I know this is a forum for Chinese ceramics, but just thought I'd post an update. Thanks everyone!