Ming or Qing?

Started by principe67, May 04, 2016, 22:12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

principe67

Hi Peter,

i would like to know some thing about this Wucai large vase. I'm not shore if it is a Familie verte Ming Dinasty or late.

Kind regards
Julio

principe67

more pics

Stan

This is a modern fake, the Characters are not written correctly.

Stan

The Characters are written backward.

peterp

It is a mirror image. That could be done in an image editor. Do the characters on the object really look like this?

A closeup image of the foot rim, and high resolution partial pictures of some areas in the decoration are required. Minute details should be clearly visible.
These pictures are not of much use, the decoration looks the same as looked at from afar.

Stan

I purchased a vase that has the same style dragons and colors, my vase has age signs but I was told that it is a reproduction, when I compared mine to the ones at the high auctions none of the high auction pieces had dragon heads like yours and the one I have, the heads are longer and the mouths of the dragons are more defined on the period pieces.

principe67

hope new pics help

principe67

principe67

principe67

principe67

principe67

principe67

I think Stan is right! I did the same, compared the dragons design with the ones of the hight actions and i had the same observation.

peterp

The decoration is only one part of this, I have doubts that based on some painted features alone it would be safe to tell if it is authentic or not.
However, the bottom is very indicative to this end.
A five clawed dragon would have to be imperial ware (late Qing excluded), so let us look at the bottom.
The mark is a Wanli mark, some strokes of the Wan character would have been placed slightly different if it were imperial, and of the period. And, in my view the double ring would be too perfect for that period. Then the foot rim...such a foot rim color should always ring the alarm bells. Antiques do not get such a foot rim, unless it was artificially made to look that way. - No matter how dirty an item would have been, or how old it is, the foot rim of an antique does not have this color, normally.
You should be able to discard a lot of fakes based on this alone.