Overglaze enamel cups

Started by Adriano, Apr 27, 2016, 02:55:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

I bought these two cups in an antique consignment shop about ten years ago.
The shop owner said that they are Japanese production.
They are with overglaze enamel decoration, 6 cm high and 12 cm max diameter.
Recently I have found on eBay a plate of the same style made in Macau.
Probably the pieces are Chinese and not Japanese.
Mark translation could be useful, but I can not read Chinese.
I will appreciate any suggestion on provenience and period.

Thanks a lot.

peterp

While this type of mark is unlikely Japanese, the rim shape and decoration look all Japanese. Could it have been made to order for Japan?
Mark characters: ???? 
I do not know if this is also a manufacturer's name, but the first two characters mean a decoration style, while the second two are the common Japanese name for ceramics. In Chinese, the latter would mean earthenware, thus it is less used in Chinese. This also points to Japan rather than China, no matter where it was made.
The enlarged picture gives the impression as if the outlines were printed and the filling perhaps hand-painted.

Stan

I agree with Peter, Japanese, but I have never seen a mark like this on blue and white porcelain Chinese or Japanese, it should be a blue mark, could it be that the mark was put on at a later time? or is it late 20th century.

Adriano

Hi to all,
I have found on eBay a piece with a similar decoration.
I think this could be late 20th century, because of the additional marks.
I do not know if it can help or confusing?

peterp

Yes, same style. I still think it looks Japanese, and was possibly made for export there. Macao and Hong Kong decorated a lot of export porcelain, probably in the second half of the 20th century.

Adriano

Hi Peter,
I have another eBay reference: same mark, different style
The owner said this to be Chinese early 20th century.
For me it do not looks so old.

peterp

The problem is what is Chinese porcelain and what not. If it was made to order or exclusively for Japan, does this make it Japanese or Chinese? 
The items all are decorated in a Japanese style, even if they were decorated in Macao, including the jar.
No, I do not think that this bottom is very old, it might even have been produced by injecting, rather than on a wheel.

Adriano

Thank you Peter, your explanation has clarified me everything.
Thank you also to Tan.