Imari porcelain dish

Started by carlyoung, Apr 24, 2016, 19:07:40

Previous topic - Next topic

carlyoung

Hi guys

This porcelain plate / dish / bowl I have , not sure if it is Chinese or Japanese Imari , and what part of the 19th century would it date too?

Thanks

carlyoung

more pics

Stan

This is Japanese Imari and looks like it is early 20th century, I would need a photo of the whole bottom to confirm, it could be late 19th.

carlyoung

I was thinking maybe 18th century for this piece , well cut foot rim , chatter marks and a fine porcelain paste.

here is a full pick of the base

Stan

No age signs? 18th century, I do not thing so, maybe late Meiji in my opinion.

carlyoung

I will take another look and take photos if I see any obvious age signs apart from the chatter marks and good quality paste , it is thinly potted and quite light , That's another reason why I was thinking earlier that 19th century , Japanese pottery bot a lot thicker and heavier in the 19th .

Thanks Stan

Stan

Hi Carlyoung, looking at your bowl at a side view, does it look like it is out of round, the later high fired porcelain is much better and would be perfectly round the earlier would be out of round.

carlyoung

That's an interesting point Stan , and one worth discussing , would you expect to see warping on all 17th and 18th century Japanese porcelain plates? or would the type of clay , size of the piece and general quality of manufacture have an influence on this.?

Stan

From my understanding, 18th century to late 19th century were not high fired, Seto ware was the first in the late 19th century, the older was thicker and that is how they retained their shape, I have a lot of Edo porcelain all of it is warped at a side angle, at least all mine is, I think there are examples that could hardly be warped but very few in my opinion.