Qianlong or Yongzheng or fake?

Started by Balcor, Jul 30, 2014, 00:52:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Balcor

Hi all,
I would appreciate help from anyone that can identify this mark for me. I have checked what I can but it seems the first character is from the Qianlong seal but the rest of the characters are from the Yongzheng seal mark. What does this mean, is this piece fake or is it from one of these periods? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Stan

This is a Daoguang mark 1821 to 1850 if this was authentic, it would have a very high collectors value, but marks are spurious and can not be used for dating, unless everything else checks out, like the shape of the item, the decoration, the colors, age signs and so on, all these play a part in the evaluation.

peterp

You are mistaken this time, Stan. That is a Yongzheng mark, written in Zhuanti characters.
This does not necessarily mean the item itself is of the period, of course. Like Stan said, all factors need to be right when authenticating an item. The mark itself means nothing.

Stan

Your right Peter, this book is not doing me any good, I need to study the marks more closely, thanks for correcting me.

Crissie

Hi, newbie here.

After I finally worked out what the mark on the base of this vase said (Yongzheng), I submitted photos and was quickly advised it was a 20th century reproduction.

The problem is, I don't know why.

I'd like to learn from this experience and would appreciate knowing what it is about this vase that points to it being a reproduction.

The base has a six character blue underglaze mark within a double circle - it matches those for Yongzheng.

It is 60.3cm high x 30.3cm wide (at widest point).

Mouth is 11cm diameter, 37.5cm circumference.

Base is 13cm diameter, 41cm circumference.

Would appreciate pointers on why it can't be from Yongzheng period.

Thank you for reading.

Stan

Hi Crissie, the mark it self is poorly done, the characters are not centered in the double blue circle, and on the bottom there are no age signs, nor on the rest of the vase, the decoration out lines look like they were transferred and then gone over with a brush to make it look as if it was hand drawn, also no depth to the blue color, the old blue bleeds when fired and gives it the depth you normally would see, the horses look 20th century also and the faces look strange.

Crissie

Thank you so much Stan. I checked in, but wasn't expecting a quick reply.

It was really kind of you to do that, to share your knowledge, and help me learn.

It is appreciated.