Mismatched markings?

Started by sarliz78, Apr 15, 2016, 06:26:49

Previous topic - Next topic

sarliz78

I just purchased a "pair" of chinese republic ground vases. In the advertisement, an antique dealer showed a blue marking which I believe dates them around the 1920's. When the vases arrived, one has the blue marking depicted in the ad and the other has a red marking with a double square around it. They are ornate and identical except thay the vase with the blue marking has a very, very slightly deeper coloration than the other. When I contacted the shop, they said they didnt notice the different markings ( they are very obvious) and then said thay sometimes a matching pair will have different markings. Can anyone verify if this is true? We paid a lot for these because they were a beautiful matching pair - but could one be a reproduction?

heavenguy

I have seen matching pairs with different color markings and aven seals. That is very common but not sure if age of the vases will fit that category... I know Peterp will have a better answer.

peterp

There are many reasons why pairs can be slightly different items. However, before going deeper into that it is recommended to post pictures of both items and their bases.
There is no point in trying to find out whether there is a problem if the items are not authentic antiques.

sarliz78

Thanks so much for your replies.... Pictures are attached. They measure 21"high by 14" wide
I know the markings are not oriented correctly in the pics but couldnt get them to show up correctly

peterp

Both are Qianlong marks, but the vases were probably made in the 20th century. The blue mark looks as if the characters were a printing font. That means it could be from the late 20th century at the most. The items could be from different batches made in the same factory, which then had a mark applied for decoration only.
This type of mark difference means probably that they were originally from different batches made at the same place, then, later someone put two together to make a pair. They are likely not antiques.

sarliz78

Thank you so much for the information.