Qinq TongZhi hat stands

Started by rekojem, Apr 14, 2016, 22:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

rekojem

I have inherited a pair of hat stands, I believe they were bought in China around 1920 as my relation worked in the British Legation in Beijing.
After doing some research I think they are from the Qinq Tongzhi period. Attached is a mark and picture. This would date them between 1862-1874?
I've seen hat stands sell on ebay ranging from $2000 to $100. What period is most sought after or just whose looking.
Reko

peterp

Yes, Tongzhi mark and period is likely. Early Guangxu period would also be possible, as both painting style and mark of Tongzhi were probably still used then.
I would like to remark that although Tongzhi fencai usually do not have a high value due to the numbers of extant items, probably, with that number of people (children) its value might be higher than usual. The motif is "100 children's dragon play" (????), although the number 100 represents "many" and is frequently not that high.

rekojem

Thankyou Peter for your reply. I'm curious as to where you found the motif ???? (100 children dragon play) Is this something written  on the stamp as I can recognise the ? (top right character) or is this a common pattern used in Chinese decoration.