Chinese b/w saucer plates

Started by Stan, Apr 07, 2016, 06:23:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here are a couple small saucer plates, I bought them at an Estate Sale the lady was old and said that she got these from her Grandmother, I was thinking Guangxu but I had a Chinese friend that said they are Kangxi, but Im not sure that Kangxi marked their items this way, the size is 13.2 cm across the top, I will post 8 photo's thank you for viewing.

Stan

Here are the other four photo's, thanks again for viewing.

peterp

Hi Stan, a lot of export porcelain has this type of dishes or saucers. Looks indeed like Kangxi, both on top and also the under rim decoration.
Some of the saucers have a Qianlong Nianzhi four character mark inside a double rim too.
Consider two things in the decoration. The hairstyle, could it be Kangxi? Here is where I have doubts, but this is because the Kangxi wares I see have painted the people in part like late Ming (mostly men). Kangxi ladies' hairstyle is usually with the hair bound high up. I do not really know if this one would be Kangxi or perhaps later, with this hairstyle. The other is, you know the term "long Eliza", do you? Slender, very tall women...do you think this corresponds to this image? Not an easy matter, because these figures could have been forced by the small size of the saucers.
My decision here would be the shape of the foot rim. Kangxi mark or not, if the foot rim is slanted it should at least be 18th century, if it is straight, then Guangxu would be more likely.

Stan

I have never heard the term "Long Eliza" I take it that it means the figures would be drawn with long slender bodies, I do know what your talking about and it could be like you said, a small saucer could have made the artist draw it not as long as on a larger plate, the bottom foot rim is rounded, not straight up, I have six of these and I bought some other small saucers that she had I am sure that the other ones are 18th century, i will post those on another separate post, thanks peter, so the hair style might be the factor in a later period, with the rounded outside of the foot would that make it at least 18th century?

peterp

Foot rim should not be straight up, but at an angle. Usually a straight oblique line inward on the outside, or both sides are slanted, so a cross cot would look slightly conical.

Stan

Straight oblique line, slightly conical, thanks Peter for the correct usage of terms.

peterp

If the foot rim is short and rounded it could be a Dehua item, but these are not.