Japanese Bronze Censer with Paulownia Seal! Imperial Family?

Started by smak, Sep 26, 2016, 08:25:07

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi guys!

I recently got this from from a collector friend and would like to know more about this!

There is a  Paulownia Seal  imprinted in the cener! From what I researched; "the Paulownia Seal originally was the private symbol of the Japanese Imperial Family, from as early as the twelfth century. The Toyotomi clan, led by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, later adopted the Paulownia Seal for use as the crest of his clan. After the Meiji Restoration, the seal was eventually adopted as the emblem of the Japanese government.[3][4]"

I just want to confirm if this is indeed the case!

When was this made?
Is this really of Japanese Imperial Family?
Is this common at all?

Thanks!

Stan

In Japan the paulownia is called kiri, I believe the leaves and flower pattern were used as a crest for Toyotomi Hideyoshi one of the three unifiers of Japan, he became the virtual ruler of most of Japan in 1584 and achieved the unification of Japan in 1589, he died in 1598, I do not think that after his death the crest was no longer used that I'm aware of, during the Meiji Constitution from November 29 1890 until May 2, 1947 this crest was adopted for the office of the Prime Minister of Japan, I think that would fit the age of your bronze vase on the later side I think.

smak

Thanks Stan!

I also noticed that the Japanese Imperial Army also have this symbol as well!

What are your thoughts on this piece? Theres a Tokugawa Symbol if I'm not mistaken.

http://discussion.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/index.php/topic,2361.new.html#new